With announcement dated 24 Jan 2019 The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) mandate Unique Document Identification Number (UDIN) with effect from 1st February, 2019 to curb the malpractices such like financial documents/ certificates attested (Singed) by third person misrepresenting themselves as CA Members which leads to misleading the Authorities and Stakeholders.
The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) has also issued FAQ on Unique Document Identification Number (UDIN) some of the FAQ are as under to understand the concept of UDIN.
- What is Unique Document Identification Number (UDIN)?
Unique Document Identification Number (UDIN) is a unique number, which will be generated by the system for every document certified/ attested by a Chartered Accountant and registered with the UDIN portal available at https://udin.icai.org/.
- What is the Algorithm (Format/Structure) of UDIN?
Algorithm of UDIN comprises of the following:
1. The Membership Number of the Member attesting the document/ certificate.
2. The Date (dd/mm/yy) when certificate is issued.
3. The Document Serial Number allotted automatically by system.
- Who can generate UDIN?
A practising Chartered Accountant can generate a UDIN for certificate/ document attested by him either in individual capacity or as a partner.
- Can one see the various certificate numbers generated?
Yes, one can see and search the various certificates number generated using the search option provided on website at https://udin.icai.org/.
- Can a Certificate number once generated be revoked or cancelled?
The UDIN once generated can be withdrawn or cancelled with narration. Hence if any user search for this UDIN, appropriate narration indicated by Member with the date of revoke will be displayed for reference